Wednesday, June 11, 2014

To my 3 year old



I don't even know how to begin this post. I have so much to say about my sweet, crazy, loud, enthusiastic, cuddling, thumb sucking three year old. So I better just start with his birthday. I wanted him to have an idea of when he would be turning three so we made a paper chain. Daddy helped us color designs on them. Some mornings he didn't want to tear off a link because he liked the designs on the links on both ends of the chain. Lincoln finally had found his favorite link that Daddy had designed and decided that would be the one he tore on his birthday. When the chain got shorter, Lincoln would get so excited to tear them off and count the days down. He would get huge eyes and open his mouth so wide but couldn't get any words out. On his birthday morning he walked out of his room and I picked him up and sang Happy Birthday to him. He told me I shouldn't sing because it wasn't his birthday. When I assured him it was in fact his birthday and he saw the last link on his chain, he was ready for his birthday cake...then I could sing. Well I had some other plans for eating the cake and it didn't include eating it at 7:30 in the morning. But I did have a special present for him to open...
Here it is, Lincoln's first present in his hand...
He went through each piece of tissue paper,
looking for a present in the paper.
He was so disappointed each time he looked in another piece of paper, and no present...Hint Lincoln, look in the bag.
Lincoln has a Thomas the train t-shirt that was given to him as a hand-me-down from a neighbor. He loves this shirt and puts it on as soon as it is clean out of the laundry. A couple of weeks ago, we were doing his laundry and he informed me that we wanted to save his Thomas shirt for his birthday. Later that day he told me to wrap it up and on his birthday, he would open it. (I hope he always asks for things he already has for his birthday). Even after telling me several times in the days leading to his birthday that he wanted his Thomas shirt for his birthday, he had no idea what was in the bag. But he knew just what to do with it when he opened it.
He got dressed so quickly. It was a nice break for me:-)
 Lincoln requested pancakes for breakfast. Easy enough.
Except I had left out his cupcakes, and that's all that was on his mind. 
He had some pancakes...then while I went to Oliver's room to help Oliver...he got into two of his cupcakes. Can a blame a 3 year old for eating his birthday cake on his birthday, when I left them right in front of him? I guess we'll let it go this time.
 After breakfast, we headed off to the zoo. We picked up Khari, then Lincoln's friends (and mom's) Peyton and Keira met us there along with Gram Graham!



It was time for a cookie break by the sea otters.
Khari, Peyton, Keira, Gram Graham and Lincoln.

Everyone was excited to see the Polar bear, the problem was, there was no Polar Bear to see. So they played on this one instead.


The Merry Go Round was a big hit!
Oliver loved it too!
Then Gram Graham took us out to lunch! And gave Lincoln an amazing gift.
She sewed him a book to help him learn his numbers. Super Cute!!!
 Well his birthday was only half over and there was still so much fun to be had. We picked up Grandma and Grandpa Poll from the airport then went to Khari's house so the kids could take some naps. Well, Khari and Oliver did great, but Lincoln was too excited to take a nap. After nap time, we headed back to Salt Lake for a swimming party next to Dean's work.
Lincoln fell asleep as we pulled into the parking lot of the swimming pool

Swimming was so much fun! Jodi, Khari, Carson and Grandma Poll all joined us. Then we headed to the park for the birthday party.
There was pizza and presents.
 Carson was very helpful in getting us through the present opening phase of the party. Lincoln didn't mind. He just looked at the presents that Carson opened and moved on.



And lastly it was time for cake and ice cream
I wanted to make Lincoln a Lightning Mcqueen cake...
I read the instructions for this one
And after a few revisions, I came up with this


Well there it went. Lincoln blew out three candles on his cake, and just like that I have a 3 year old.
We packed up and left for home. Within minutes Lincoln was asleep in his car seat. I think he'll remember his birthday at least until his next one. 
The morning after was priceless. I had left all of his gifts in a bag by his room. When he came out of his room the next morning, he started looking through the bag. He pulled things out and it was as if he had never seen them before. "Mom, look at this! Wow, look at this toy. Look what I got for my birthday mom." He may have been a little too tired to realize what was going on during present opening the night before. This way was better, it was like getting each gift twice.

I love this three year old, and hope I can love every day of Lincoln being 3.
I interviewed Lincoln to get a glimpse of his life as a 3 year old. Here is how it went:
1. What is your favorite color?
Black
2. What is your favorite toy?
The Bee Flashlight
3. What is your favorite fruit?
apple and grapes and
4. What is your favorite thing to eat for lunch?
Fruit
6. What is your favorite outfit?
Lightning mcqueen shirt and shorts and Thomas underwear
7. What is your favorite game?
Dice
8. What is your favorite snack?
Fruit Snacks
9. What is your favorite animal?
A Polar Bear
10. What is your favorite song?
Teach me to walk in the light and the family one and tralalala
11. What is your favorite book?
“I think I can one” (The little engine who could)
12. Who is your best friend?
Jonathan
13. What is your favorite cereal?
Tiger Cereal
14. What is your favorite thing to do outside?
Play on the trampoline
15. What is your favorite drink?
Sprite
16. What is your favorite holiday?
Santa Clause comes
17. What do you like to take to bed with you at night?
Kiddy Cat
18. What is your favorite thing to eat for breakfast?
Cereal
19. What do you want for dinner on your birthday
again...Strawberries
20. What do you want to be when you grow up?
I want to be five like jonathan

No comments:

Post a Comment