Wednesday, January 5, 2022

December 2021

It was a great way to start off December! Breakfast with Santa...and Adam and Claire.
Thomas asked for a surprise for Christmas.
Oliver also wasn't sure what to ask for. He told Santa. It's all in the letter I just handed you.
Carter joined us for the festivities.
Lincoln asked for a metal detector.
And Ezra was all talk on the way over. But man he wanted nothing to do with the man in red.
We went to This is The Place with Troy's family. There was a special event going on, where it seemed like the entire city of Salt Lake showed up to. But the cool thing about this tower is the painting on the top was painted by Dean's mom. She's quite the artist! Oliver was pretty bummed we couldn't pan for gold or ride on the ponies.
There was also a magnificent sky that night. It just kept getting better...far better than my picture will ever capture.
Oliver asked to braid my hair. Not bad for his first time touching a girl's hair. 
We hosted the Poll Party this year. I was impressed how many people we got into our front room. Everyone was in attendance this year. It's always fun to be together!
Present time is the best!
Khari let us share her birthday party this year with Ezra. We went to Pintsize Picasso for a paint night. It was a hit! Everyone loved it! Thomas and Oliver were thrilled with their paintings.
Ezra wanted nothing to do with it at first. Carson was the perfect buddy for Ezra. He warmed up to it, and by the end, they had worked together on a masterpiece!
There's Ezra and Khari, the birthday kids.
Vanessa and Ezra figured out how the camera worked so they could get on the big screen.
And there's the happy kiddos!
They both had a great time. And Carson was the hero!
Ezra's teacher held a special party for Ezra. She asked me to bring a poster (this mom put it together the morning of). We brought in cupcakes (which we had to leave for them to eat at snack times without Ezra). And she asked me to bring in Ezra's favorite book (yet he claimed he didn't like any books. So picked one for him). Then she handed him a big, homemade  birthday crown (which he refused to wear). But he did pose for a picture and we left the party.
When his brothers came home, we went to Scales and Tails. As always, it was a hit! Perfect for these boys. They are getting more and more brave as the years go on. And I give Ezra a pass, because he's 4, and it's his birthday.
I'm getting more brave too. I've never had a giant python around my neck.
Oliver LOVES animals. He's happy to get up close and personal with the tortoises. The others don't mind watching. 
Anything for my boys.
Thomas is like, "it's getting a little tight here!"
This really is a cool place for these boys!
Ezra was more fond of the snakes in the cage.
Lincoln was pretty skeptical to hold this guy. But after his mom did it, he couldn't say no.
And Oliver was willing to give him a high five.
After the reptiles, we went to Dean's work for a Christmas party/Ezra's birthday party. It sure is easy top please a 4 year old on their birthday... Though he wanted a rainbow cake. Then we was very specific about the order of the rainbow to have red on the bottom and purple on the top.
Ezra's first day on the slopes this year. He did so well! I even took him off the bunny hill!
My first week off of classes, I decided to have some of Ezra's friends come over for a playdate. Because of Covid, and me in school, he doesn't get this like all of his brothers have. It was kinda fun to do that again. I emphasize kinda.
We hosted Dean's football friend party this year. Every time we get together with these people, I like them more. And from the first time we met 12 years ago, we have come a long way. These are good people!
Dean went all out on the dinner with Scones and carne al pastor.
Then we had another night at Jodi's house...just for fun. And whenever these people get together. It is fun!
Well, I took Ezra, so it was their turn. I had paid for daycare for Ezra through the end of the month, so he went to daycare while these boys were out of school and we hit the slopes. It's going to be a good season with them! They are getting pretty good!
Of course, I say that, and there was some major crashes. I believe four kids were down at the same time.
We also got to go to the Jazz game compliments of Jr. Jazz. Only Oliver and Thomas played this year, but because they are nice to us at South Salt Lake, we got tickets for our whole family. The younger three got bored of the game pretty quickly and enjoyed churros, foosball and double-shot for most of the second half.
On the way back to the van, a quick detour to see the Christmas Tree at City Creek. 
We went to the big Poll Family Christmas Party with my cousins. I'm sure I had more fun than anyone in my little family, but I really, really really miss my Poll family. I don't see them enough! At the end of the party, they brought out dozens of soft, fluffy, snowballs and we had a huge indoor snowball fight. It was perfect for this group. 
And what's a Poll party without some musical chairs. And as always, there was plenty of tears from the kids who got out. My kids were no exception.
Then, Christmas Eve. We went to Uncle John's house and had the traditional ham and potatoes. Then the big surprise. John opened his swimming pool for the first time and let us swim. It was so cold, though it was heated to 80 degrees. 
Luckily there was also a hot tub close by.
And Ezra was happy to work on a last minute Christmas surprise for Oliver.
And we made it to Christmas morning. So far, all smiles. Oliver was prepared to tear through his gifts in seconds, and true to character, Lincoln saved his until everyone else had gone for some more focused attention.
Thomas had a gift for everyone. He planned a painting project and we painted cups. He had examples of what he wanted us to do (just like an art project he had done for Halloween at school with a ghost and a candy corn), however, everyone just painted exactly the way they wanted to, and I was proud of Thomas for going with the flow on this, even with his vision.

Then, unfortunately, Lincoln knew this was coming and could not hardly wait. Long story short, he got his brothers to follow him into the loft to receive their final Christmas gift.
The Nintendo Switch. They spent the remainder of their day in this small corner of the loft. This thing does have its benefits. I don't have to be a mom at all when it is up and running! But sometimes I do want to be a mom.
Before the switch came out, we enjoyed a few minutes with toys.
The Monday after Christmas, we went up to Layton to play. We ended at the Blackhurst's house. Lots of toys there!
That night we headed over the Hilterbrand's for pizza and games. Thomas was home coughing and Dean stayed behind with him, but the rest of us were ready to party.
It snowed all week long! It was perfect for sledding. And the boys decided not to go to sugarhouse park this time. Plenty of fun was had right in our own yard.
For some reason, they couldn't get this one going.
And the Wednesday after Christmas, we went to the zoo. Some were afraid the animals would be hibernating, but they were out and about and we had a great time. But it's always a good time with the Blackhurst's

I don't think we were supposed to be in this fenced area, But it was just another couple of animals on display. Wink wink.
The monkeys, gorillas and polar bear were the highlights, but Ezra wins with the "mom, take a picture"

Dean headed to California for the New Year to watch the Utes play in the Rose Bowl. I was trying to be fun and creative and get us out of the house, so we went bowling. Most of us loved it! Thomas included.
For New Year's Eve, I had planned to have a couple of friends over from school. An hour before they were supposed to arrive, Lincoln complained of a headache, sore throat and fever. Well, in the day and age of COVID, we decided to cancel. We played a little nintendo, and had our Martenellis without my school friends. Lincoln went to bed earlier and the other three stayed up playing a bored game with me until almost midnight. We made it to 11:30, then watched the ball drop on Youtube.
Happy 2021. I can't believe how fast time is going! These boys continue to grow, learn, and melt my heart. Sometimes being their mom is quite challenging, but I'd imagine most mom's would say that about raising their kids in 2021. All of the time, I'm beyond grateful to be their mom. They teach me so much, and I love them more than they will ever know.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment